/ About
At the Hyde Park Corner end of Piccadilly, the Cavalry and Guards Club has occupied 127 Piccadilly since 1890, when Captain Weatherall of the 20th Hussars offered the newly formed Cavalry Club use of the building. Mewes and Davis, fresh from designing the Ritz, rebuilt the clubhouse between 1907 and 1909; the result is a Grade II* listed mansion with a checkerboard-floored entrance hall and a wrought-iron staircase climbing through three storeys, largely unchanged since. The Guards Club, founded in 1810, merged with the Cavalry Club in 1976, bringing military portraits, silver and eight hundred members with it; the Club bought the freehold outright in 1987 rather than see the building converted into a hotel.
Eight function rooms sit across three floors. The Coffee Room runs the length of the first floor, its tall windows overlooking Green Park; the Field Marshals' Room, hung with portraits of the Club's namesakes, has its own entrance onto Piccadilly and opens to the terrace by French doors. Smaller rooms include the Chetwode, Waterloo, Peninsular, Queen Elizabeth and Double Bridal, the last two named for a portrait of the Club's former Lady Patron and a Chairman's horse respectively. A glass-roofed conservatory off the courtyard serves as an informal bar.
All events are hosted or sponsored by a member, and the Club's banqueting team plans everything from an usher's lunch to a reception for three hundred guests. Fully licensed for members and their guests, the Club also makes its 38 bedrooms available alongside a function booking.
/ Rooms Available
Coffee Room
PrivateThe largest room in the Club, running the full length of the first floor and named for the coffee houses of St James's that gave London's clubland its start. Tall windows look out over Green Park.
Field Marshals' Room
PrivateA ground-floor room hung with portraits of the Field Marshals it is named for, including Douglas Haig. French doors open onto the terrace, and the room has its own entrance from Piccadilly.
Chetwode Room
PrivateForming part of the second floor's Dining Room and separated by double doors, named for Field Marshal Lord Chetwode, the Club's longest-serving Chairman. Windows overlook Green Park.
Peninsular Room
PrivateOn the first floor at the rear of the building, overlooking the terrace, with portraits brought from the Guards Club on its 1976 merger with the Cavalry Club.
Waterloo Room
PrivateRefurbished in 2013 and hung with paintings relating to the Battle of Waterloo, with a bay window overlooking the terrace. Can be combined with the adjoining Peninsular Room for larger receptions.
Small Drawing Room
PrivateThe end section of the Club's Drawing Room, divided by sliding doors, suited to a small lunch, dinner or meeting.
Double Bridal Room
PrivateNamed after a horse owned by a former Chairman of the Club, this second-floor room overlooking the terrace suits a small lunch, dinner or meeting.
Queen Elizabeth Room
PrivateNamed for a portrait of the Club's former Lady Patron, HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, painted by Norman Hepple. A companion room to the Double Bridal Room, on the opposite side of a small lobby.
/ Perfect For
/ Features
Catering
- – In-House Luxury Dining
Licensing
- – Full Alcohol Licence
Venue Specs
- – Dedicated Events Team
- – Outdoor Terrace
/ Getting Here
/ You May Also Consider
